Tuesday, February 21, 2012

El Chalten

So I'm now in El Calafate after spending five nights in El Chalten, which is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen. Here's a picture from a trail taken on the way back after a ten hour hike:


It's a tiny town created in 1985 to prevent Chile from grabbing the land in a border dispute. Only 600 people stay there year-round, it has a couple of paved streets, and the ATM works some of the time. And it is absolutely stunning.

My first day there I just stayed in the hostel because I arrived late in the evening after more than 30 hours in buses. The next day I took a three hour hike to Laguna Torres, a very easy stroll for the most part with beautiful scenery. It is interesting going for a stroll in this strong Patagonian sun - when you hit the shade, it drops 10 degrees or more instantly and wind gusts are intermittent throughout, so there is always a bit more variety in temperatures and weather sensations than I'm used to. Here are a few pictures of that hike:



Really stunning.

The next day, Lara and I hiked to the Fitz Roy, a mountain top that is gorgeous. It is an eight hour hike but we took our time and soaked in the views, turning it into a ten hour hike. Afterwards my blisters were acting up so badly that my hiking days were ended for about a week or so (we'll see), but it was worth it. Here are some pictures:








Really amazing.

The next day was overcast and my blisters were bad so I did nothing. The day after that I took a bus ride to Lago de Desierto and hung out on the beach for a few hours reading. Here's a picture of Lago de Desierto:


And, finally, a last meal of steak before heading out. Really, really good steak (Bife de Chorizo, medium-rare):


No comments:

Post a Comment