Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Navimag

When I got back from the Torres del Paine trip on two Mondays ago, I found out that there were still tickets available for the Navinag, a cargo ship that provides space for people heading up to Puerto Montt from Puerto Natales (the city I was in). It only leaves once a week, boards at midnight, and takes 4 nights. So without even showering (it was pretty bad), I walked down to the ticket agency, got a discounted ticket - which wasn't too bad considering it covered room and board for 4 nights as well as transportation - then got back to the hostel at 7 pm with five hours to shower, repack my things for another trip, meet the group from Torres del Paine for a farewell dinner, and get to the boat with all of my stuff by midnight. It all went very well but I was extremely tired.

The boat itself covers 1400km and apart from 100 or so people it has many cattle and sheep, which you could hear and smell. Along the way, it passes many uninhabited fjords and was covered by a thick veil of fog for the first 2 full days - a bit of bad luck, but it really made the trip feel ethereal and at the end of the world. On the last day the sun came out and we spent the whole day outside, slathered in sunscreen of course. It was all good fun.










2 comments:

  1. I am envious of these experiences. I may try to do a painting of the last photo in this group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that would be awesome! If you do, please send a picture.

    ReplyDelete